The week after Percona Live Santa Clara 2018 tends to be much quieter, aided by the fact that I took a few days away during Labor Day. The next thing to look out for is Percona Live Europe 2018, which at this stage is really a note to let you save the dates: November 5-7 2018, at the Radisson Blu, in Frankfurt. There is no call for papers yet, there is no committee, and it is not listed yet at the Percona Live Conferences page. Hang in there! We’ll open the call for papers soon!
Now that Percona is in the PostgreSQL space, it seems prudent that there will also be more PostgreSQL content here. A great resource naturally is Planet PostgreSQL. There also seems to be another resource on The internals of PostgreSQL, and as books go, Mastering PostgreSQL in Application Development sure looks very interesting. Do you have recommended resources?
- MariaDB MaxScale 2.2.5 – still releasing under the BSL
- MariaDB Server 10.0.35 – many updates to engines from the 5.6 tree, and also worth noting that PCRE got upgraded. I wonder how PCRE compares to the ICU Library regular expressions that MySQL 8 ships?
- 12 Open Source Projects by Alibaba – Part 1 – thank you, Alibaba for making open source better!
- MySQL 8.0 has a lot more functionality around GIS, and you want to read more about Spatial Reference Systems in MySQL 8.0 – note that it supports SRID 3857, which is what you see in popular map projections like Google Maps/OpenStreetMaps. Don’t forget to continue reading about Geography in MySQL 8.
- A Hacker News thread, very complimentary of Percona, about Vadim’s post on A Look at MyRocks Performance.
- Kubernetes: The State of Stateful Apps – good post from the team at Cockroach Labs on running your databases in an orchestrated fashion.
- rootconf.in 2018 – Bangalore, India – May 10-11 2018
- Open Source Data Centre Conference – Berlin, Germany – June 12-13 2018
- DataOps Barcelona – Barcelona, Spain – June 21-22 2018
- OSCON – Portland, Oregon, USA – July 16-19 2018
The post This Week in Data with Colin Charles 38: Percona Live Europe 2018 and PostgreSQL appeared first on Percona Database Performance Blog.