Join Percona Chief Evangelist Colin Charles as he covers happenings, gives pointers and provides musings on the open source database community.
The call for submitting a talk to Percona Live Europe 2018 is closing today, and while there may be a short extension, have you already got your talk submitted? I suggest doing so ASAP!
I’m sure many of you have heard of cryptocurrencies, the blockchain, and so on. But how many of you realiize that Coinbase, an application that handles cryptocurrency trades, matching book orders, and more, is powered by MongoDB? With the hype and growth in interest in late 2017, Coinbase has had to scale. They gave an excellent talk at MongoDB World, titled MongoDB & Crypto Mania (the video is worth a watch), and they’ve also written a blog post, How we’re scaling our platform for spikes in customer demand. They even went driver hacking (the Ruby driver for MongoDB)!
It is great to see there be a weekly review of happenings in the Vitess world.
PingCap and TiDB have been to many Percona Live events to present, and recently hired Morgan Tocker. Morgan has migrated his blog from MySQL to TiDB. Read more about his experience in, This blog, now Powered by WordPress + TiDB. Reminds me of the early days of Galera Cluster and showing how Drupal could be powered by it!
- pgModeler – a PostgreSQL database modeler, which is easy to use, multi-platform thanks to being written in Qt, with dynamic code generation. What’s the open source MySQL or MongoDB equivalent?
- ProxySQL 1.4.10
- If you’re using the MariaDB connectors for C or ODBC, there have been updates: MariaDB Connector/C 3.0.6, MariaDB Connector/ODBC 3.0.6
- Sys Schema MySQL 5.7+ – blogger from Wipro, focusing on an introduction to the sys schema on MySQL (note: still not available in the MariaDB Server fork).
- Prometheus Graduates in the CNCF, so is considered a mature project. Criteria for graduation is such that “projects must demonstrate thriving adoption, a documented, structured governance process, and a strong commitment to community sustainability and inclusivity.” Percona benefits from Prometheus in Percona Monitoring & Management (PMM), so we should celebrate this milestone!
- Replicating from MySQL 8.0 to MySQL 5.7
- A while ago in this column, we linked to Shlomi Noach’s excellent post on MySQL High Availability at GitHub. We were also introduced to GitHub Load Balancer (GLB), which they ran on top of HAProxy. However back then, GLB wasn’t open; now you can get GLB Director: GLB: GitHub’s open source load balancer. The project describes GLB Director as: “… a Layer 4 load balancer which scales a single IP address across a large number of physical machines while attempting to minimise connection disruption during any change in servers. GLB Director does not replace services like haproxy and nginx, but rather is a layer in front of these services (or any TCP service) that allows them to scale across multiple physical machines without requiring each machine to have unique IP addresses.”
- F1 Query: Declarative Querying at Scale – a well-written paper.
- db tech showcase Tokyo 2018 – 19-21 September 2018